My mother (Hi Mum !) gave me this huge arsed Zucchini that she grew. It weighed in at 1.07kgs !! And she’s grown heaps of them ! I’ve been roasting and steaming them as a meal accompaniment but its time I put it to its true use … its own dishes … Zucchini Soup and Zucchini Slice … *droooool*
Here’s the soup recipe.
Makes 4-6 serves
500-600g zucchini – roughly chopped
2 cloves of minced garlic
1 med carrot – diced
1 med onion – diced
2 stalks of celery – diced
1 teaspoon of sweet paprika powder
2 tablspns olive oil
I apple – roughly chopped
1 chili – finely sliced
1ltre of your preferred stock (I tend to use chicken stock)
A splosh of Worcestershire Sauce
Salt and pepper to taste
100g cream or sour cream
Garnish options: chopped dill, finely chopped chili, crumbled feta, shake of paprika.
- Sauté onions, celery and garlic until clear – don’t let them brown.
- Add chili, carrot and apple and cook until heated.
- Add zucchini and stock so that all ingredients are covered. Add Worcestershire Sauce. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Simmer for at least an hour, until zucchini and apple are so soft they’re falling apart.
- Take off heat and let cool for 20 min – then use a blender to make the soup smooth.
- Put back on the heat, stirring regularly, until soup is simmering. Just before serving, stir through 100g of the cream. Save 50g for garnishing if desired – have some fun with designs